Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chocolate Bacon!

Ok, I just had to share this because 1) it's been all over the food media lately (the oh-s0-many-ways-to-eat-bacon) and 2) I recently have exposed myself to a similar concoction. First, the recipe:

Chocolate-Covered Bacon Recipe

Chocolate-Covered Bacon Recipe
Photo by: Taste of Home
Rating 4.17

66% would make again

A hit at state fairs everywhere, make this salty-sweet concoction at home. Some say bacon can't get any better, but we think chocolate makes everything better!


  • 12 Servings
  • Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients

  • 12 thick-sliced bacon strips (about 1 pound)
  • 12 wooden skewers (12 inches)
  • 6 ounces white candy coating, chopped
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • Optional toppings: chopped dried apple chips, apricots and crystallized ginger, finely chopped pecans and pistachios, toasted coconut, kosher salt, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and coarsely ground black pepper

Directions

  • Thread each bacon strip onto a wooden skewer. Place on a rack in a large baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely.
  • In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Combine chocolate chips and shortening; melt in a microwave and stir until smooth.
  • With pastry brushes, coat bacon on both sides with melted coatings. Top each strip as desired. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.
*********************************************************
Ok, I'll be honest... I'm not sure I will make this. Recently, my coworker gave us all a taste of come chocoloate/bacon truffles. Granted, I only ate the teeeeeny tiiiiiiniest bite of it because I was scared of what I would taste. The consensus was that it tasted like a rich chocolate truffle with little grainy salty spots in it (i.e. the bacon). Sure, the sweet/salty combo was somewhat reminiscient of something like Pretzel M&MS (which by the way, they make now (in the blue bag!) and they are delish!) But honestly, I'm not sure I can hop on the Bacon Chocolate Bandwagon. But if you are adventurous... try it out! Then let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment